New pics added, the old ones weren’t quite up to scratch so I’ve re-done them.
Just returned from holiday, back to plain old England now. Before I left, I’d challenged myself to prepare a brand new army for a battle I am having with a friend mid-September. I had decided on the Necrons as to me they represent firstly a unified army with the same scheme that is easily applied, as well as a more than intimidating force to face when completed. Taking some old boxed sets, some donated parts and a recently purchased Necron Battleforce from http://www.gwonline.biz for £40, I set to work with a deadline of 15 hours until I had to leave for holiday. Of course I completed my packing to keep the next 15 hours clear, and therefore could dedicate the entire time to painting!
I had decided before hand, due to a bit of research from the codex, army fluff from online, and various resources, that instead of attempting to blend a Necron force’s armour with metallics and then a specific army colour, such as red or blue, I would stick to the deathly-cold looking worn metal that Necron warriors are famous for. Personally I felt that although other excellent paint jobs that I have seen incorporate colours in to the armour of these skeletal warriors, I strictly wanted the feel of pure evil (and easily painted!) metallic death-bringers. Therefore the entire army was based Boltgun Metal, washed with thinned down Chaos Black, drybrushed with Boltgun Metal, then Chainmail, and then finally Mithril Silver. Details such as eyes, weapon coils and the gun’s power wire were picked out with a coat of Dark Angels Green, a Goblin Green highlight, and a very thin edge highlight of Scorpion Green. Gold transfers from the Necron transfer sheet were added to the larger models for extra detail.
For the Necron Lord on foot I paid a tincy bit more attention. He was given a slightly coloured and aged mask (which I will repaint to resemble the rest of the armies silver scheme), a green staff, a dull-coloured, worn cloak, and a brown hue to his metal to show his ancient rank. I added the top of a Tyranid Warrior skull to his base, and painted it in bone colours to represent the flaying that happens during fire from a Gauss weapon, or even the aftermath of skinning from a flayed one! For the Destroyer Lord I changed his arms with those from a Tomb Kings Chariot from the Warhammer Fantasy range. He was positioned to look as if about to dive in to a victim to claim their soul in the name of the C’tan!
14 hours in, and a lot of food later, My army was painted! 3 hours for the 37 warriors, 2 hours for the Lords, 2 hours for the 3 Destroyers, 2 for the Tomb Spider (With a hand modelled Particle Projector cut from the corner of a sprue due to a missing piece of the model), 1 hour for my 10 Scarab Swarm bases, and the final 4 hours for breaks, I was left with an hour to apply ‘Ard Coat and leave them to dry for 2 weeks on my work shelf!
Phew… Can’t wait to add more un-dying warriors to the ranks upon ranks of the Necrons! Check the images above for now and please excuse the awkward lighting and blurring in some cases.